Before you move your household goods to Mexico you must have the correct immigration status. Please read our article on Moving to Mexico to learn what is required. Assuming you have the proper immigration status and you are ready to choose a moving company to move to Mexico here are the 5 tips to help you make your choice:
- Ask Around The best moving company is one that comes highly recommended and this doesn’t just relate to moving to Mexico but moving in general. Ask people you know, look on the internet in forums and on Facebook and find out what people are saying. This holds especially true of direct referrals you get from friends. Find out what their experience was like and if they recommend the moving company or not. This is the best way to get direct honest opinions about a moving company.
- Moving Inventory (to determine price) A good moving company will help do an accurate and complete inventory of your belongings to determine the size of truck, how many movers and the cost of your move. This is very important in order to not end up with a big shock on moving day.
- Make Sure the Mover offers Insurance Insurance is important for your move if you are moving to Mexico. It’s important that your mover offers declared, replacement and total loss insurance and covers your goods from door to door. The move to Mexico is a lot farther than a regular interstate move so it’s even more important for you to have good moving insurance.
- Will they help with the required documentation If you are moving your household goods to Mexico you will require a Menaje de Casa. A menaje de Casa is a Household goods import certificate and it’s very important. Keep in mind you are moving to a completely different country with different rules and regulations so you need to be informed about what the laws are. In order to import your belongings duty free you will need a menaje de casa. A good international mover will inform you and assist in processes like the menaje de casa which will make moving day a lot less stressful.
- Do they have a storage facility near the place in Mexico you are moving to In case, for whatever reason, your place in Mexico isn’t ready to receive your goods you may need to store them for a certain amount of time. It would be very helpful if your mover has a storage facility nearby so your household goods can be stored in a dry, safe place before they are moved into their final destination.